L-Theanine is an amino acid (a building block of muscle) most commonly found in green tea leaves. It appears to be potentially useful for a supporting a wide variety of health benefits.
It’s best-known for helping promote relaxation without sedation.
Additionally, one clinical trial found showed L-Theanine to reduce anxiety and help control blood-pressure increases in high-stress response adults . Moreover, another trial found L-Theanine to be safe and effective for improving sleep quality in boys diagnosed with ADHD .
Are there any side effects to L-Theanine?
For the vast majority of people, not at all. L-Theanine is non-stimulative and naturally occurring, so most of us eat some without realizing anyway. It’s generally considered safe and effective around 200 mg, although some individuals may do better with more and vice versa.
L-Theanine benefits at a glance
- Improves memory and mood
- Reduces mental and physical stress
- Increases Alpha brain wave activity (Good)
- Helps control increases in blood-pressure
- Works synergistically with caffeine
- Lowers anxiety and over-stimulation
Best 10 L-Theanine Supplements
10. NusaPure L-Theanine
NusaPure is among the best most reputable brands in nutrition. Designed with value and efficacy in mind, each bottle contains a 180 day supply of pure, full-strength 200 mg l-theanine capsules.
Delivered at an excellent cost: serving ratio, you’ll find each label is 100% transparent and free of potential allergens, including yeast, corn, milk, sodium, sugar, gluten, and wheat to name a few. It’s also free of unnecessary artificial colors, flavors, and additives.
Moreover, NusaPure derives its l-theanine from non-GMO and non-irradiated green tea leaves. That said, each batch is made in a USA cGMP facility and is lab tested for purity, potency, and freshness.
NusaPure 100% L-Theanine Highlights:
- 180 servings (180 caps) per bottle
- 200 mg of pure L-Theanine per serving
- Free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- No GMOs, yeast, corn, milk, sodium, sugar, or gluten
- Only one ingredient: L-Theanine (besides the capsule)
- Third party tested and made in a cGMP certified facility
9. SymNutrition Double Strength L-Theanine
Made by SymNutrition, each bottle contains 120 servings and is encapsulated using premium grade cellulose to ensure effective digestion and the proper delivery free of unnecessary additives.
Throughout our research we found SymNutrition to achieve a high level of quality control. For one, their vegetarian capsules are made in a cGMP compliant USA facility. Likewise, we also found it to be independently tested to ensure continued safety and purity.
When it comes to value, SymNutrition has a lot to offer relative to its competitors around the same bracket. Considering its total servings, dosage, and form, it’s hard for us to dispute its value.
SymNutrition L-Theanine Highlights:
- 120 (1Vcap) servings per bottle
- 200 mg of l-theanine per serving
- Full ingredient label transparency
- Encapsulated with high-quality cellulose
- Made in a cGMP compliant USA facility
- Independently lab tested for safety and potency
8. Doctor’s Best Suntheanine L-Theanine
Formulated using one only ingredient, Doctor’s Best (DB) achieves a level of quality and value unmatched by many brands. Each bottle is intended for 3 months of daily use and has 150 mg of pure suntheanine l-theanine in each capsule.
Furthermore, each capsule is easily digestible and plant-based making it vegan and vegetarian-friendly. It’s also made in a cGMP certified facility and is 3rd party lab tested to ensure proper standards for purity and potency are met.
Lastly, we noticed it doesn’t have unnecessary GMOs, soy, or gluten which is a big plus. For less than $13, we’re happy.
Doctor’s Best Suntheanine Highlights:
- 90 servings (90 Vcaps) per small bottle
- 150 mg of 100% suntheanine per serving
- Plant-based, vegan/vegetarian-friendly caps
- Doesn’t contain GMOs, soy, or gluten
- Manufactured in cGMP certified facilities
- 3rd party lab tested to ensure purity and potency
7. NOW Foods Double Strength L-Theanine
Made by NOW Foods (NF), this plant-based supplement is uniquely formulated compared to most brands. While each of its 60 servings have the standard 200 mg dosage we’ve come to expect, it also provides 100 mg of the pseudovitamin Inositol.
Inositol isn’t actually a vitamin, but rather a vitamin-like sugar that’s a component of cell membranes and is involved in cellular signaling. One clinical study shows it may help with anxiety .
When it comes to purity, we found it’s lab tested for a huge range of toxins. Moreover, there aren’t any sweeteners, flavors, or dyes.
NOW Foods Double Strength L-Theanine Highlights:
- 60 servings (1 Vcap each) per container
- Contains 100 mg of Inositol per serving
- Lab tested free of a huge range of toxins
- No artificial sweeteners, flavors, or dyes
- Vegan/Vegetarian-friendly, non-GMO
- Good overall value and ingredient quality
6. Nature’s Trove Capsules
Nature’s Trove (NT) has a lot to offer when it comes to healthy, easy to digest l-theanine capsules. For one, each bottle is made to supply 365 servings at 200 mg per, which is almost unheard of.
Furthermore, NT’s l-theanine is made in the USA in a GMP, NSF certified facility and lab tested to ensure proper quality. It’s also free of allergens like peanuts, eggs, dairy, soy, wheat, yeast, gluten, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, and other animal byproducts.
In addition to its excellent ingredient quality, you won’t have to deal with hidden blends. Nature’s Trove is even certified kosher and encapsulates its powder with plant-based veggie capsules.
Nature’s Trove Capsule Highlights:
- 365 vegetarian capsules; One-year supply
- Every capsule contains 200 mg of l-theanine
- Certified kosher, GMP, and NSF
- Lab tested and verified for purity and potency
- Hypoallergenic, free of major potential allergens
- Naturally derived from green tea leaves
5. Natural Factors Chewable Tablets
Natural Factors is one of a kind when it comes to form factor. Unlike powder or liquids, NF takes a different approach and instead use chewable tablets.
This makes them great to use on the go or for when you need a piece of ‘candy’ to snack on. Each bottle of NF is relatively more expensive than mass-produced powdered versions, but you can expect it to last 1 month of consistent daily use.
That’s because each of its 30 servings contains 200 mg of Suntheanine l-theanine. Pair that with its excellent ingredient quality and for $18, we’re still impressed.
NF Chewable L-Theanine Tablet Highlights:
- 30 servings (1 tablet each) per bottle
- Standard 200 mg of Suntheanine l-theanine
- Third-party lab tested for purity and potency
- ISURA Certified Non-GMO
- Tropical fruit inspired flavored tablets
- Costlier, but absorbs well in the mouth
4. Svasthya 100% Liquid Extract
Svasthya sets itself apart because of their unique form of Suntheanine L-theanine. Unlike powder, sublingual extracts don’t need to be broken down by the body before digestion. This allows it to skip the intestinal digestion phase and be more efficiently absorbed and dispersed into the bloodstream.
That said, each bottle tastes good, has 29 servings (2 full droppers per), and is safe for kids and pets alike. You won’t find any allergens like milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, or soy in it either. It’s also free of artificial ingredients like flavors, additives, fillers, binders, gluten, and alcohol to boot.
On another note, Svasthya includes 20 mg of Stevia leaf extract. This helps it taste just slightly sweet without causing an unpleasant experience.
Svasytha Liquid L-Theanine Highlights:
- 29 servings (2 dropperfuls each) per vial
- No milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, binders, or gluten
- Free of artificial sweeteners, additives, and alcohol
- Sublingual form to increase absorption
- Tastes slightly sweet, not overwhelming
- Safe for both kids and pets to take
3. Bulk Supplements Pure L-Theanine Powder
Bulk Supplements (BS) is arguably the leader in providing clean supplements in, well, bulk amounts. As such, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to many that it’s ranked #3- and here’s why.
For starters, each (3.5oz) bag supplies 100 grams of pure l-theanine powder, making it the most versatile and cost-effective supplement to make this ranking.
It’s also free of potential allergens including sugar, soy, gluten, yeast, and dairy. This is because there are no other artificial ingredients or additives, which is great.
Bulk Supplements L-Theanine Highlights:
- 400 servings (250mg each) per bag
- 100% l-theanine, no other ingredients
- Helps curb overstimulation and anxiety
- Free of sugar, soy, gluten, yeast, and dairy
- No discernible flavor (Taste neutral)
- Exceptional value for less than $17
2. Sports Research Double Strength L-Theanine
Sports Research (SR) is one of the most recognized and trusted names in nutrition. Formulated with Suntheanine l-theanine, this supplement unsurprisingly impressed us on a multitude of fronts.
For one, each bottle provides a 60 serving supply of patented Suntheanine l-theanine. While great in itself, SR takes it a step further with its encapsulation method and other ingredients.
More specifically, you’ll also find organic coconut oil and organic beeswax, which is all perfectly contained in liquid softgels made of kosher gelatin, kosher vegetable glycerin, and purified water.
Sports Research L-Theanine Highlights:
- 60 servings (60 softgels) per container
- 200 mg of L-Theanine per liquid softgel
- Made with patented Suntheanine l-theanine
- Encapsulated with organic virgin coconut oil
- Third-party tested and lab-verified for purity
- Excellent overall value, kosher certified [K]
1. VitaDirect Premium L-Theanine
As its name suggests, VitaDirect (VD) is a premium high-end supplement- and here’s why. Each bottle contains 120 capsules and provides 25% more powder than other leading competitors.
In addition to its great value, VD theanine is free of artificial ingredients and hidden blends. It’s also encapsulated in plant-based veggie capsules (with rice flour) for optimal versatility.
You won’t find any GMOs or Gluten in it either. For less than $13, this supplement is a safe and effective way to help reduce anxiety and improve your quality of sleep.
VitaDirect Premium L-Theanine Highlights:
- 120 servings (120 capsules) per bottle
- Solid dosage, 250 mg per capsule
- Full ingredient label transparency
- Made by VitaDirect, a very reputable brand
- 25% higher dosage than most competitors
- Amazing value for cost, use, and effectivity
Bottom Line on L-Theanine Supplements
In the end, choosing which supplement to take ultimately depends on what you’re looking for. So, to help you make a more educated decision, we’ve outlined the two major differences below.
If you want its effects now and can’t wait 15 minutes, we’d suggest trying a sublingual liquid.
However, in most all other cases, we recommend taking a high-quality capsule instead. This is because they’re more economical, are just as if not more effective, and are more versatile.
L-theanine benefits in detail
L-theanine helps reduce feelings of anxiety
As mentioned above earlier, l-theanine is adept at reducing and preventing anxiety by upping Alpha brainwave activity. Too much stress can be responsible for a huge range of health issues.
It’s also used to help aid sleep.
Because l-theanine increases alpha brainwave activity, you’re more likely to feel relaxed. This is because alpha brainwaves are largely associated with a sense of overall calm and serenity. As a result, many people, take l-theanine to ease their active mind and help them fall asleep easier.
L-theanine helps negate over-stimulation (caffeine)
Most if not all of us have felt caffeine over-stimulation at some point. Consuming high dosages of caffeine (about 2+ cups) can cause your arms to become shakey. Because of this, it’s not uncommon to see l-theanine included in pre-workout supplements to smooth over its effects.
L-Theanine in Matcha and Green Tea
When it comes to l-theanine, matcha is the way to go. In fact, matcha has about 5 times more l-theanine (20mg) than green tea does (4mg). This is because of a farming technique developed by the Japanese centuries ago where they shade the plant to increase its l-theanine content.
What is Suntheonine?
Suntheonine is a highly popular pure form of l-theanine. While most l-theanine is derived from Green Tea, Suntheonine is made during a patented process that according to Taiyo International “mimics the natural process in green tea leaves, resulting in a 100% pure L-isomer-theanine”.