What is L-Glutamine?
Glutamine is the most abundant free amino acid in the body and is considered a major cellular fuel source . As an amino acid, glutamine is a building block of protein. It’s produced in the muscles and liver and is then carried by your blood to different organs that require it. While BCAAs tend to be the most beneficial class of amino acids, l-glutamine still pulls its weight.
A few benefits include:
- Protection against cellular stress
- Digestive support (Acid reflux, leaky gut)
- Enhanced immune system function
- Healthy intestinal lining
- Faster recovery from exercise, illness, or injury
- Regulating blood glucose (sugar) levels
How does it work?
Glutamine is involved in a large number of bodily functions. For one, it’s used to create chemicals like glucose as an energy source and helps maintain proper blood sugar .
In addition, glutamine is used by white blood cells and is important for proper immune system function. It’s been shown to increase the body’s ability to secrete human growth hormone . Human growth hormone (HGH) works by helping promote the creation of new lean muscle.
Glutamine helps repair muscle.
Torn tissue (injury) can be anything from lightly damaged post-workout muscle to full-blown trauma. Regardless of the wound, glutamine is essential for both healing and growth.
One study involving rats showed a decrease in plasma glutamine after an injury . Humans encounter the same dropoff in blood glutamine levels and trace nutrients after an injury too. Because of this, supplementing with glutamine can help significantly aid cellular recovery .
In addition, glutamine can also help prevent muscle catabolism and save muscle mass .
Top 10 Best Glutamine Supplements
#10: Cellucor CorPerformance L-Glutamine
With over a decade of industry experience, Cellucor Cor-Performance (CP) l-glutamine is made to deliver functional dosages of l-glutamine at cost-effective price points.
Every 72 serving tub of CP glutamine only has pure 100% glutamine. Because there are no added flavors, colors, or additives, it mixes easily and is inherently flavorless.
When it comes to safety, you’ll be glad to know CP l-glutamine is naturally occurring and free of banned substances. You can get it in other flavors too, which is nice.
Cellucor CorPerformance Glutamine Highlights:
- Includes 72 servings (360 grams) per canister
- Available in a wide range of different flavors
- Provides only one ingredient: L-Glutamine
- No added artificial flavors, dyes, or sweeteners
- Zero banned substances; safe for athletes
- Good overall value. Not suitable for vegans
#9 Jarrow Formulas L-Glutamine Powder
Jarrow Formulas is one of the few brands most known for unwavering dedication to consumer safety and ingredient quality. What impressed us the most was its overall value.
Each serving of JF l-glutamine is USP/FCC grade and derived from fermented, plant-based material. It’s also hypoallergenic and free of allergens like wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, fish, and nuts.
When it comes to taste, JF l-glutamine was completely neutral. This is because it doesn’t have any other ingredient besides l-glutamine. Unsurprisingly, it dissolved quickly in our drinks.
Jarrow L-Glutamine Powder Highlights:
- 113 Servings (226 grams) per 8 Oz bottle
- Only one ingredient: Pure L-Glutamine
- No wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, fish, nuts, or GMOs.
- Vegan Friendly formula
- Fermented for improved bioavailability
- Tasteless and is a fine powder that mixes easily
#8: Evlution Nutrition Glutamine 5000
Made in the USA, Evlution Nutrition (EN) Glutamine is designed to support optimal levels of l-glutamine in the body. Each 60 day supply of EN provides 60 servings or 300 grams.
Moreover, Evlution Nutrition is fully transparent about their ingredients label. EN’s glutamine is derived from clean, plant-based sources to achieve the highest standard of purity.
Because EN only contains one ingredient (Pure l-glutamine), it naturally tastes neutral and dissolves fairly quick. This makes it quite useful for stacking it alongside other supplements.
Evlution Nutrition Glutamine Highlights:
- 5 grams of l-glutamine per serving (60 servings)
- High-quality single ingredient formula
- Ultrapure pharmaceutical grade powder
- Healthy plant-based L-Glutamine material
- Neutral flavor; stacks fine with other supplements
- 100% Free of banned substances
#7: MusclePharm Essentials 100% L-Glutamine
Coming in at seventh on our list is the highly reputable MusclePharm (MP). Like many supplements on our ranking, MP l-glutamine sports a simple one ingredient formula.
In terms of safety, MP l-glutamine is certified free of banned substances and lab tested for impurities. This helps ensure a high level of consistency, purity, and efficacy.
In addition to its science-backed purity, MP l-glutamine also mixed quite well. It dissolved immediately and didn’t have any sort of unsettling flavor, which was great.
MusclePharm L-Glutamine Highlights:
- Starts at 60 servings (300 grams) a tub
- Quickly digested and absorbed by the body
- Dissolves effortlessly and tastes neutral
- Increases whole-body glutamine bioavailability
- Lab tested and certified free of banned substances
#6: MuscleTech Platinum 100% Glutamine
Developed by MuscleTech (MT), Platinum Glutamine provides a solid 60 day supply of high-quality l-glutamine. Each canister contains 60 servings, which equates to 300 grams of powder.
MT’s Platinum glutamine undergoes rigorous quality control standards. Every serving is third-party lab HPLC tested to ensure a high degree of purity, quality, and label accuracy.
Like the other supplements on our ranking, Platinum glutamine tastes neutral and mixes quickly. This is because there are no added ‘other’ artificial flavor enhancers, such as aspartame.
MuscleTech Platinum L-Glutamine Highlights:
- 60 day supply (302 grams) per container
- Dissolves instantly due to micronization
- Fully disclosed ingredients label
- HPLC tested to ensure proper effectivity
- Flavorless; stacks well with other supplements
- No added stimulants like caffeine
#5: Kaged Muscle L-Glutamine
Kaged Muscle (KM) l-glutamine has one of the best combos of dosage, ingredient purity, and value. One major contributive factor is its full ingredient disclosure and transparency.
KM L-Glutamine has one ingredient (Glutamine) and is derived from fermented, vegetable-based material. While more costly to produce, plant-based glutamine is a much cleaner source.
This free-form amino acid is free of GMOs, Gluten, and is regularly tested by third-party labs for impurities and micro toxins. In addition, KM L-Glutamine is also certified banned substance free and contains no artificial flavors or dyes.
Kaged Muscle L-Glutamine Overview:
- 60 Servings (300 grams) per canister
- Vegetarian-Friendly plant-based material
- Complete ingredient transparency
- Fermented MicroPure free-form L-Glutamine
- Tested by third-party labs to ensure quality
- Certified 100% free from banned substances
#4: BodyFortress 100% Pure Glutamine Powder can
BodyFortress (BF) l-glutamine is an excellent choice for those seeking quality powder without the premium price tag. Each canister contains 66 servings (297 grams) for just $10.
This is achieved without using artificial ingredients such as flavors, dyes, and preservatives. It’s also free of potential allergens such as gluten, yeast, wheat, dairy, sugar, and soy.
Because there are no other ingredients, BF l-glutamine is naturally flavorless, dissolves fast, and can be effectively stacked with other supplements for increased versatility.
BodyFortress L-Glutamine Highlights:
- 66 Servings (297 grams) per jar
- 4.5 grams of l-glutamine per serving
- Can be taken pre, intra, or post-workout
- No Artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors
- Free of gluten, yeast, wheat, dairy, and sugar
- Budget-Friendly health gains (Good Value)
#3: BulkSupplements Pure L-Glutamine Powder
Made in a pharmaceutical grade facility, Bulk Supplements (BS) pure 100% l-glutamine powder is available in 10 sizes and takes the extra step in supplying safe, effective supplements.
BulkSupplements l-glutamine is Non-GMO, hypoallergenic (Free of soy, sugar, dairy, yeast, gluten), and is also lab-tested to ensure no contamination from impurities like heavy metals.
We enjoyed how it tasted- or rather its lack thereof. Because it only contains one ingredient, l-glutamine, it has no discernible flavor or smell. It’s a fine white powder and mixes quickly too.
BulkSupps L-Glutamine Highlights:
- Lab tested for purity, accuracy, and effectivity
- Only one ingredient: Pharma-grade L-Glutamine
- No sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, gluten, and additives
- Smells mostly odorless and tastes mildly neutral
- Mixes quickly without leaving grit or chalky residue
- Great value, particularly with ‘subscribe and save’
#2: Optimum Nutrition L-Glutamine Caps
Formulated and manufactured by the industry titan Optimum Nutrition, ON L-Glutamine combines premium dosages, quality, and versatility at wallet-friendly costs.
Optimum Nutrition (ON) impressed us on a multitude of fronts. For one, everything is done in-house from start to finish. Unlike most brands, ON operate their own manufacturing sites. This helps lower production cost (increase value) and ensure purity.
Speaking of purity, we found ON glutamine only has one main ingredient: glutamine. For other ingredients, there’s gelatin (used to make caps) and magnesium stearate to improve consistency.
ON L-Glutamine Capsule Highlights:
- Starts at 60 Capsules per bottle
- Single capsule serving size (1:1 ratio)
- Complete ingredient transparency
- Free of banned / harmful substances
- Can be taken pre, intra, or post-workout
- Versatile, cheap, and great for beginners
#1: Naked Nutrition Pure L-Glutamine
Naked Nutrition is best known for its undiluted supplements. Designed with purity in mind, Naked excels at providing science-backed dosages of l-glutamine for cost-effective price points.
What interests us most is Naked’s unwavering dedication to make it as pure as possible. Each serving is plant-based (vegan-friendly), fermented for better absorption, micronized for fast water dissolution, and is largely hypoallergenic.
It’s also naturally flavorless (taste neutral) because there are no artificial ingredients. This means it can be safely added to other drinks or supplements without changing its flavor or color.
The Naked Difference:
- 200 Servings (1,000 grams) per container
- Third-Party lab tested for safety & efficacy
- Plant-based l-glutamine; Vegan-Friendly
- No other ingredients besides L-Glutamine
- Fermented for increased nutrient absorption
- Micronized for immediate dissolvability
- Superior overall quality and product value