Best Protein Powder Supplements for 2017-2018 (Top 10)
Protein, as you most likely know:
…is one of the main nutrients your body receives from the food it eats.
Most often, this is in the form of:
- Eggs; and
- Protein powder
Protein is an essential part of a balanced diet and helps with the proper maintenance and growth of muscle.
Now, if you’re looking to transform your body…
…either by losing fat or building lean muscle…
These ten products on our best protein powder supplements will certainly help you to reach your goals faster.
The top two are, undoubtedly, a couple of our favorite protein powders over the past several years.
So, in a line or two… why do we love our protein powder so much?
Protein powders are:
- Taste great (most of them); and
- Allow you to hit your daily protein goals
Without further ado, let’s dive into the ten best protein powder supplements:
Starting with #10…
Let’s start at the top.
Below, you’re going to find seven protein powder supplements that you’ve most likely heard of before.
Because they’ve sold tens of millions of tubs per year and have withstood the test of times with their original formulas.
They’re some of the biggest names and some of the most widely used supplements in the world of protein powder.
To this point…
If you’re simply looking for any protein powder that:
- Will help you reach your daily protein goals
- Is cheap/affordable; and
- That has a formula that includes above-average amounts of non-protein ingredients
There’s a good chance you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for in the opening section below.
However, once you get down to our top 3 section towards the bottom, you’ll see why Supplement Demand’s best protein powder supplements list varies from all the others.
Others that have been known only to “list” ten random protein powders (in no particular order), based off of what can be found on Amazon, Bodybuilding, or other big-box retailers.
Our objective, as it relates to our top 3 best protein powder supplements, is to:
Introduce you to a new brand that perfectly aligns with your values, so that you can find the perfect protein powder for your goals.
So, when you get towards the bottom of our list/guide:
You’ll see new brands that you may have never heard before.e strongly urge you to read each review thoroughly, as we have 100% certainty that the top four protein powders on our list (though, you may have never heard of them before), are hand-0ver-fist, the
When you do, we strongly urge you to read each review thoroughly.
Well, we’re certain that at least one, of our top three, protein powders (even if you’ve never heard of them before), are hand-0ver-fist the best-of-the-best!
#10: ISO-100 by Dymatize
ISO-100 is Dymatize’s fastest absorbing protein they’ve ever created and was designed for the hard-working athlete and gym veteran weightlifter.
Dymatize ISO-100 allows you to:
- Work harder
- Recover quicker; and
- Achieve your strength and performance goals
Made from 100% hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, ISO 100 contains:
- 5.5 grams of BCAAs per serving; and
- 25 grams of protein per serving
As an added bonus…
Dymatize’s flavor department is on point!
If the taste is most important to you, when it comes to the best protein powder, nearly every protein supplement by Dymatize tastes delicious!
The downside to this, however, is that their flavoring ingredients aren’t always on the natural side.
#9: Syntha-6 by BSN
Syntha-6, by BSN, breaks into the ninth spot in our best protein powder supplements because of its sheer multi-functional capabilities.
Not only is it great for pre-workout energy, but also for:
- Post-workout recovery; and
- Anytime snacks throughout the day
It’s designed specifically to support:
- Muscle growth
- Muscle enhancement
- Muscle protein synthesis
- Muscle recovery; and
- Weight management
As an ultra-premium lean muscle protein powder, this is BSN’s best-tasting protein supplement to date (our favorite flavor is chocolate peanut butter).
Really, the only issue with Syntha-6 protein is the amount of sugar per serving.
Quite honestly… this stuff really tastes like candy…
#8: COR-Performance Whey by Cellucor
To deliver a pure protein that packs more protein, and better flavors, into each serving.
It features a fast digesting whey protein isolate formula, which packs:
- 25 grams of protein
- 5.5 grams of BCAAs; and
- Only 120 calories per serving
It’s no surprise that COR-Performance Whey was named Breakout Supplement of the Year, as voted by the members of Bodybuilding back in 2013.
COR-Performance Whey comes in around 74% protein-by-weight with 25 grams of protein per 34-gram scoop.
This is one of the most important factors to consider when making your protein selections.
Aside from delicious flavors, COR-Performance Whey also mixes instantly, which helps to eliminate the all-too-common “protein chunks”!
#7: Phase8 by MuscleTech
Feeds your muscle for up to 8 hours post-workout.
Because of its “sustained-release” matrix, Phase8 is a “highly anabolic and anti-catabolic protein that helps to create a muscle-building environment for longer periods of time”.
Despite having a very low protein-by-weigh ratio of around 53%, it does contain:
- 5 grams of creatine (both HCL & Monohydrate)
- 1.5 grams of Taurine and L-Alanine; and
- 6 grams of BCAAs in the desired 2:1:1 ratio.
#6: Combat Powder by MusclePharm
Perhaps, the most impressive part of Combat Powder is its powerhouse ingredient profile, which includes:
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Micellar Casein
- Egg Albumen
- Digestive Enzyme Blend
- BCAAs; and
We’re longtime fans of MusclePharm here at Supplement Demand.
That aside, though, their products do actually speak for themselves.
Ask anybody who’s used Combat Powder and you’ll hear nothing but great reviews about their growing product suite.
In terms of protein-by-weight, Combat Powder comes in at around 74% with 25 grams of protein per 33.6-gram scoop.
#5: Gold Standard 100% Whey by Optimum Nutrition
… like it is on every single other supplement review site, hear us out:
Optimum Nutrition’s Gold Standard 100% Whey has been, as the name suggests, the “gold standard” in the protein powder supplement space for the past decade, or so…
At least, it seems.
This formula has been an award-winning protein for 10+ years and counting and boasts a pretty awesome ingredient profile.
Without a shadow of a doubt, Gold Standard is among the best-of-the-best, when it comes to protein powders.
Their Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) is one of the purest whey proteins currently available and includes:
- 24 grams of protein
- 5 grams of BCAAs; and
- 4 grams of Glutamine per serving
With a high protein-by-weight ratio of 77%, with 24 grams of protein per 31-gram scoop, your money is very well spent on Gold Standard 100% Whey.
#4: Whey Protein Isolate by NutraBio
NutraBio is led by their CEO and Founder, Mark Glazier who is one of the industry’s most respected influencers.
NutraBio currently offers one of the largest product suites in the Sports Nutrition industry with over 360+ products.
Chances are, they have a product (or ten) for you.
With just about every type of supplement, from amino acids and vitamins to minerals and herbals, to weight loss and protein powders, NutraBio has just about everything.
Here’s what’s so awesome about NutraBio, and their captain, Mark:
They were producing “nonproprietary blends” before it was the new, hip, and trendy thing for supplement companies to do here in 2016-2017.
In fact, they’ve been doing it for over twenty years!
And for that, NutraBio will always have the respect of our team here at Supplement Demand.
Okay, okay… onto their 100% Whey Protein Isolate.
It’s unique formula contains:
- 5 grams of BCAAs
- 4 grams of Glutamine; and
- Zero: soy, lactose, gluten, hormones, fillers, excipients, and is NON-GMO
- Protein-by-Weight of 83.6% (25 grams per 29.87-gram serving)
- Macros: 25g Protein, 0g Fat, and 1g Carbohydrates
- 110 calories, <1g fiber, sugar (not listed)
- Servings: 30.4 (that’s right… they even through in an extra .4 servings)
- Flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Wild Strawberry, Banana, Orange Cream, Chocolate Mint, Cinnamon Bun, Cappucino, & Unflavored
By our standards, that’s a pretty clean whey protein and would work well in anybody’s supplement regiment.
#3: Whey+ by Legion Supplements
Whey+ is the flagship protein powder from the team over at Legion Supplements, who recently revamped their formula to accomplish a couple things:
- Improve the taste; and
- Remove the 4 grams of L-Leucine
The result is something truly special.
With a yield of 22 grams of Non-GMO Whey Protein Isolate per serving, Whey+ has a protein-by-weight ratio of 76.1%, which is amongst the highest throughout our entire list.
Whey+ aims to accomplish four things, in particular, for its users:
- Maximizes protein-per-scoop
- Free of lactose, gluten, MSG, GMOs, artificial sweeteners and flavoring
- Sourced from hormone- and antibiotic-free cows; and
- Outstanding taste and “mouthfeel”
Having used Whey+ numerous times, we’ve recently become even bigger fans of this product (and Legion Supplements, altogether), since they upgraded its formula, which now includes:
- Macros: 22 grams of protein (yield), 0 grams of fat, and 3 grams of total carbohydrates, 100 calories, 1 gram of fiber, and zero sugar
- Flavors: French Vanilla, Dutch Chocolate, Cookies & Cream, Strawberry Banana
- Sweetened with Stevia
#2: Whey Isolate by Staunch Nation
UPDATE: Added in April of 2017!
As the newest addition to Supplement Demand’s best protein powder supplements list…
Staunch Nation Whey isolate,, is starting to make one hell of a name for itself in the world of protein!
And we, for one, are excited to see it here.
Started by one of the industry’s most beloved bodybuilders: Calum Von Moger
Staunch Nation was launched in mid-2017 with a modest line-up of five supplments:
- Staunch PRE Original
- Staunch PRE Zero-Stim
- Stuanch PRE Koala Freak
- Staunch Creatine Five
- And what you see now, Whey Isolate
Staunch Whey Isolate is their “100% Ultra-Pure Whey Protein Isolate” with some pretty incredible macros (and flavors):
- Protein: 28 grams (77% protein-by-weight)
- Fat: 1 gram
- Carbs: 2 grams
- 120 calories
- 1 gram of fiber; and
- 1 gram of sugar (natural, not added).
Here’s the truth:
If your definition of the “best protein powder supplement” includes having:
- An incredibly clean and natural formula that lists “Whey Protein Isolate (Instantized)” as its first ingredient (this is highly recommended)…
- A relatively high protein-by-weight concentration of 77% (the higher, the better), which contains 28 grams per serving; and
- Incredibly delicious flavors (chocolate is our favorite – no competition)
Then we absolutely recommend trying Whey Isolate by Staunch as your next protein powder.
At the very least, we recommend testing it out for an entire month.
You’ll notice the difference in:
- Performance and recovery
- Taste and overall “feeling” (no stomach aches and “protein burps”, at least in our experience)
- Strength and power; and
Learn more about Staunch Whey Isolate
#1: 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate by Transparent Labs
If you’ve read our Top 10 Pre-Workout Supplements article, then you already know that Transparent Labs is no stranger to the #1 spot here at Supplement Demand!
These guys came out of nowhere and have already made a lasting impression in the sports nutrition supplement industry with their refreshing approach to:
- Transparent and non-proprietary formulas
- Efficaciously-dosed ingredients
- Science-based research for each ingredient
- Providing “Certificates of Analysis” for each batch of inventory
- No over-exaggerated marketing, pseudo-science, or “bro science”
- No fancy Instagram models/bodybuilders who claim to have accomplished their physique by only using their products; and
- Overall sterling reputation
After thoroughly researching Transparent Labs and their 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate (Vanilla is our favorite) by:
- Comparing their formula against every other pure WPI protein powder
- Reading through hundreds of their customer reviews on their website and Facebook; and
- Having our team test it for the past 8 weeks straight
We’re confident in saying that Transparent Labs offers the best protein powder supplement of 2016-early 2017.
Here’s a little more detail about the product itself:
- 100% Grass-Fed is a whey protein isolate sourced from New Zealand (if you don’t know this already, NZ is the source of some of the world’s purest whey protein).
- It contains the highest “protein-by-weight” ratio we’ve ever seen from a whey protein powder at 88% (28 grams of protein per 32-gram serving)
- Their whey comes from naturally-fed and hormone-free cows (this is a huge plus for any consumer)
So, we ask you again:
If your interpretation of the best protein powder supplement contains:
- The highest standard of formula transparency that we’ve seen (their label even includes the exact dosage of flavoring used per serving
- The actual breakdown of total protein included (30.6g) vs. total protein yield (28g)
- The industry’s highest protein-by-weight concentration of 90% for their Vanilla flavor (remember: the higher, the better), at 28 grams yielded per serving
- Zero sugars, fats, carbohydrates, and fibers; and
- Incredible taste and mixability
Then Transparent Lab’s 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate is absolutely the best whey protein powder supplement for you.
Transparent Labs is known for using 100% transparency in their products, so it’s no surprise to see that 100% Grass-Fed also contains zero artificial sweeteners, food dyes, gluten, preservatives, and fillers.
If you’re serious about adding the:
- Highest quality
- Most affordable (for the quality, per serving)
- Grass-fed whey protein isolate
..protein to your supplement regimen, then 100% Grass-Fed by Transparent Labs has our highest recommendation.
We’ll link to their protein below, but be sure to check out their other products as well, as these guys are formulating some pretty ground-breaking supplements!
Best Protein Powder Supplements: Roundup
Here at Supplement Demand, our goal for each and every one of our “top 10” ranking articles is simple:
To educate our readers.
Not only about the best supplements in each category, but also:
- What to look for in each type of supplement category; and
- Key elements to compare between different supplements in each category
We put in the time, resources and research to help you understand:
- What to look for
- What to avoid
- Key ingredients; and
- Other necessary details that ultimately play a role in you being able to achieve the results you want with the supplement that’s best for you.
All protein is not created equally.
Each product on our best protein powder supplements guide will affect everybody differently, as everybody has different tendencies and tolerances towards certain ingredients and protein types.
We always recommend trying a new product until you find the one that is perfect for you.
So, give it a shot!
If you’ve been using the same old school protein powder for the past several years and you’re looking to make some serious changes, we absolutely recommend giving these two protein powders a shot the next time you stock up.
(The good news is… Legion Supplement, Staunch Supplements, and Transparent Labs all offer awesome bulk savings when you buy multiple tubs.)
As q quick and final round up, here our are top three protein powder supplements:
- #1: 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate by Transparent Labs
- #2: Whey Isolate by Staunch Nation
- #3: Whey+ by Legion Supplements
If you read through our entire guide, bravo!
It shows that you’re committed to learning about what makes the best protein powder supplements the best and that you’re excited to try something new.
We appreciate you taking the time to visit Supplement Demand and we look forward to having you back again soon!
Feel free to leave us your comments and questions, especially when you decide to try one of our recommendations – we always love to hear about the results our readers are having with the products the we send yoour way!